AVOID SUSPICIOUS LINKS AND ATTACHMENTS
Don’t catch a virus
A lot has changed from the days of actual viruses and worms spreading their way through networks.
There has been a constant rise of spyware and adware that slows your computer to a crawl with pop-up ads and toolbars, to the calamity of encrypting ransomware.
However, as much as things have changed, the methods of distribution have remained constant where the majority of Malware we see is distributed through some form of social engineering. Even though it has become advanced, Users still continue to click on malicious links or attachments in email messages.
Always avoid suspicious links and attachments.
How can I prevent computer viruses?
By following the simple steps below will help to protect you against viruses: –
- Use anti-virus protection and a Firewall
- Always pay attention to virus warnings and notifications
- Update your Operating System regularly
- Increase your browser security settings
- Avoid questionable Web sites
- Only download software from sites you trust
- Practice safe email protocol throughout your business
- Ensure your employees don’t open messages from unknown senders
- Immediately delete messages you suspect to be spam
- Avoid free software and file-sharing applications
- Get anti-spyware software protection
So, whilst the types of threats out there are changing, the METHOD OF DISTRIBUTION is essentially the same which fortunately allows the potential victim to take similar approaches to rectifying the attack and staying safe online.
As always, it is best to stay updated with newest trends in security, but always remember the core foundation of staying safe online.
Other articles which may be of interest: